10 ways to save money while traveling
1. Book your flight 4-6 months in advance for international travel and 4-8 weeks in advance for domestic travel.
2. If you are a frequent traveler, you may have status or points with certain flight or hotel brands. You should always sign up for this free frequent traveler service.
3. If you are like the millions of us who have a credit card that you use more than a debit card, I would suggest getting a travel card that you can use points on travel. My recommendation: Chase Sapphire Reserve. It may seem like a steep annual fee of $450. However, you get a $300 annual travel credit, 3x points on travel and dining worldwide, complimentary Priority Pass Select membership which gets you into many airport lounges for FREE around the globe, no foreign transaction fees, includes the enrollment fee for Global Entry so you can skip that long line while landing back in the states during customs. *Click here to learn more and apply
4. Compare AirBnB vs. hotel for your accommodation needs. Do you like to cook your own meals or do you like to be pampered? Do you like to feel like a local in a new city? Do you like having amenities, like a spa, gym, restaurant, or pool? These are the questions to help determine if an AirBnB or a hotel is right for you.
5. Use multiple search engines to look at flights. I love how easy Google Flight search is, but I also like to see what Hopper has to say about the price. Is now the best time to book or should I wait and have Hopper track the flight and alert me when it sees a better price offered in the future?
6. Be sure to clear out your browser search history before booking your trip. SO many times I have seen a flight increase within minutes if I keep searching for the same flight on the same device. Before you book your flight, be sure to clear your browser search history. You will thank me later.
7. This can be tricky, but try and stay loyal with a certain airline, hotel, and rental car brand to build status. Once you build up your status you can get complimentary upgrades, free cocktails, free meals or better rates. There’s nothing quite like showing up to a high floor upgraded room with a view to relax in or to board the plane before the other 50+ passengers with a glass of champagne waiting for you.
8. Travel with a buddy! Why not explore that new country or city with a travel companion? You can split the costs to the hotel, rental car, and on food (my personal favorite). Beyond that, you can create a lifetime of memories with that special someone.
9. Who has that trusty AAA membership in case you need a car towed? Put that membership to good use with discounts on rental cars and hotels. Mention you have AAA when booking a reservation to turn up the savings.
10. Wait, do you also have a Costco membership? Then be sure to check out their Costco Travel website. I have hands down found some of the best car rental rates here.. They even have some exclusive trip deals to exotic locations like Fiji and Tahiti! Who thought those trips were only in our wildest dreams? *Click here to learn more about Costco Travel